Sunday, March 20, 2016

Lika's Kitchen Lab: Italian Egg Rolls

For anyone new to my blog, yes, I do blog about various things, but there are two categories you'll see most, maybe three.  My passions in life to blog about:

1) Child Advocacy - There is  HUGE difference between disciplining your children and abusing them.  A swat on the hand or back side to get their attention or to let them know the seriousness of the action is one thing.  But to lock them into closets for literally hours, just to beat them for messing themselves; or to repeatedly hit, kick, punch, throw, etc. for basic offenses is overkill.  Sex abuse as well as psychological/emotional abuse are two of the most hurtful types of abuse, because you're violating their inner most person to the core.  Gross neglect can lead to nutrition and other physical problems due to lack of hygiene and skin conditions.

2) Food,  Glorious Food - Different things call for the gathering of our friends and family, and we all celebrate (or mourn) with food, to make any situation a festivity.  I love to cook.  People love to eat.  I love to feed people.  It's a perfect situation.  Which leads me to say unto you, I play with my food.  No, it's not one of those gross things.  My kitchen is a lab, to see what new things can be invented to make traditional favorites into something new and different, or, maybe it's an ethnic thing that gets made healthier (or sometimes worse but tastier) eats, while still preserving the flavors of what is considered comfort foods, which we all have those unique flavors that we are used to eating.

3) I am politically activated.  I know, duh, right?  Most people who know me know that already.  And while yes, many of my views and stances are liberal, but, I do break form and take a more conservative stance on some issues, while not taking one due to the fact that I do not have the knowledge necessary to say something about it.  The crazy thing about how I got started...  I came to the fine city of Racine, WI as an 8 year old in 1977.  The next year, I started helping with the political campaigns with my aunt, who is also my God-Mother.  I didn't learn much about the whole entire political system and how government worked, yet, but, thought it was pretty neat, that, as a citizen, even if not of voting age, could be as involved as much as I was...

Then, there was my American Government class...  Mr. Doug Lockrem taught that in high school...  Learning and reciting the Preamble of the Constitution was what got me hooked...  Here it is:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Signed in convention September 17, 1787. Ratified June 21, 1788

The first three words is what says it all.  "We the People..."  So, from the murky waters of the swamps, through the upper crust of the perfect apple Americana, we are all able to take part in this process.  Maybe I'm just weird...  But, I use this as my inspiration to advocate for abused children, and to feed those who are hungry.

Yes, I know, I know....  I am being a tease.  You're here about the Italian egg rolls...   NOT to hear about why or how I came to be who I am...  Why I do things, and what drives you crazy with my teasers before I get to the point...  Okay, okay, you know I love you all, right?  Why do I love you so much?  Because I do, and I want to make you happy, so you can pay it forward.  So, finally, yes.  Here you go.

Italian Egg Rolls:
2# of 90% or leaner ground beef, pork, or poultry*  **
2 raw large eggs**
2/3 - 1 cup of your favorite dry cheese - Parmesan, Romano, Asiago, or any combo, depending on how stiff you want your balls.
1/4 - 1/3 cup garlic powder
2/3 - 3/4 cup parsley
2-3 TBS Basil
3-4 TBS Oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)

Mix all ingredients together, and place  in refrigerator while you prepare the sauce.

Lika's pasta sauce (batched specifically for these eggrolls):
3 heaping TBS of minced garlic
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1 bell pepper, minced
8 oz fresh mushrooms (No shiitake, flavor clash), minced
8oz fresh spinach, chopped
18 oz tomato paste
5TBS basil
6-7TBS oregano
Red pepper flakes to taste.

In a large kettle, saute the garlic and onion until aromatic.  
Add remaining minced/chopped veggies, and saute until spinach leaves start wilting a little bit.
Put in 18 oz tomato paste, and reconstitute with 3 cans worth of cold water.
Turn up heat. Add spices.  Mix well.  When it comes to a boil, turn heat down to simmer at least 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Turn on your deep fryer, using peanut or canola oil.
Bring out meat mix and 15-20 egg roll wraps.
Place wrap so it looks like a diamond in front of you.
About 1/3 way in, put about 3oz meat mix (going across).
Dip finger in a water dish, wet a dot in your corner, wet sides from the opposite corner going out toward the outer corners.
Roll up, place on baking sheet.

Deep fat fry, let them drip dry on rack, place on baking sheet with paper towel, place sheet in oven on warm, until ready to serve within 45 minutes.

Plate the Italian egg rolls onto plate, serve with the sauce on top or in a small dish on the side.  Enjoy!

* For a vegetarian twist, use two (3) - eight (8)oz packages of cream cheese, softened (Ricotta works, too).
1+1/2 cups dry grated cheese
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, shredded
1/4 cup garlic powder
3/4 cup parsley  
(Yes, use the 2 eggs), mix well, stuff into egg roll wraps, and savor.

** For a vegan twist, use 1# of Tempeh and 1# portobello mushrooms, processed through your food processor.
In place of the cheese, use raw/plain oatmeal, coarsely ground.
** In place of eggs, use 2-3TBS ground flax seeds with 3TBS water for one egg, and a plain pumpkin or squash puree for the other egg.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment