Sunday, August 24, 2014

Soup Kitchens, the State of the Economy, and Rants of a Mad Woman

Our Savior's Lutheran Church hosts a soup kitchen every Sunday for those who need to come in, whether it's because people are food insecure, just need company, or, in many cases, that's the only full meal they get, and appreciate the left overs that are given to them after the meal, so they can eat it for lunch the next day.  Many of the other Lutheran churches help staff the soup kitchens each Sunday, so it doesn't fall on one church to keep it up every Sunday.  I try to volunteer to serve when my church is hosting.  I don't mind, it's actually rewarding, because I relate with the fact that I am 1 paycheck away from needing to be on the other side of the service line.  I am fortunate.  I can get by.

But anyway, in the past, when I've volunteered for this particular soup kitchen, we usually had a line that covered one of the long walls, sometimes not even.  Today, not only did the line go all the way down the wall, it went around the corner and covered a second wall, and the line seemed a bit more scrunched together than usual.  Then, we even had stragglers coming in.  This was something along the line of 3 or 4 times more people, than I remember ever serving at one of these.  Granted, don't get me wrong.  It was satisfying to be of helpful service.  Really.  And I am glad that we had plenty of food, and not only did we not run out after giving 2nds, we had left overs to give.  I know, I already said that.  I was just impressed that we fed more people than usual AND had enough to give some to send home.

Seriously, though.  I don't know how many commercials that says that our economy is better, and that there are more jobs...  Really?  So, some of our politicians came to the opening celebration of some new businesses.  But, on the other hand, how many businesses closed, or downsized?  Porter's closed.  Lathrop Furniture closed.  Spartan's Gyro's closed.  Many others, also.  And of course let us not forget that SC Johnson had to downsize some of their staff, but also shipped a few hundred jobs to a different state.  And look also in the fact that we've lost tons of manufacturing jobs.  The number of jobs created, it seems, is smaller than the number of jobs lost.  this trend is showing in the numbers that are going to places like the soup kitchens and such.

I bet if we look at these organizations such as the Homeless Assistance Leadership Organization - http://www.haloinc.org/ and Safe Haven - http://www.safehavenofracine.org/ or the Women's Resource Center - http://www.wrcracine.com/ or the Racine/Kenosha Action - http://www.rkcaa.org/RKCAA/Food-security.htm - Seriously, if we ask them, they will probably be able to give numbers on how many they've served in the last couple of years.  We aren't really better off.  I've also talked to so many people that are currently out of work, or not enough work, and are in dire need of some or more employment that they currently have.

Thing is, I've been looking for a different job for about 7 years now.  Since finishing my Health Unit Coordinator courses back at the end of April, I stopped counting how many applications I've put out for HUC, CNA, HUC/CNA, medical receptionist, etc. at 105 apps.  Yes.  Stopped counting at 105 since April.  And I'm still filling out apps.  Over the last 7 years, not excluding my recent mega-push of apps, I've probably filled out apps for about 800-1000 positions.  I've had some interviews, maybe about 10, which have not turned out fruitful.  Again, I'm not complaining.  Yes, my back aches, I need my husband's help at home for most of the house keeping duties, and because hip and knee joints have to work harder to compensate for my back, they're starting to creak also.  At least I have a job, though doing any type of aid/nursing work is also very taxing on the back.  Most of the time with home care, you're there on your own, which makes it even harder.  At least in a hospital setting, there are people to partner up with for certain patients.

Well, anyway, I do have a B.A. in International Relations, with a minor in Political Science which I graduated from in 1995.  I have some office experience, as well as some experience teaching.  But, with as many cuts in education, and many people on the health exchange needing to go to the free health care site, I hope I'm not wasting my time trying to get back into either teaching, or further delving into some form of a health care office position.

So, with my personal experiences, and in talking to others, I am wondering how the governor or the president can even make a statement about the economy is better.  Maybe somewhere else.  But not here in S.E. Wisconsin.  With all this I hear about how the numbers are better, yet I meet people almost weekly, that they are looking for a better position, and not being able to find or get them.  Anyone with any advice for those of us who are broke is welcome to put it here in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment